Experienced Counsel in Banking and Commercial Law
The banking lawyers of Leland, Parachini, Steinberg, Matzger & Melnick LLP offer comprehensive client service to banks and financial institutions of all kinds from formation to regulatory matters, bank mergers and acquisitions, and commercial litigation or loan workouts.
Because our banking practice can draw upon a range of legal experience and skills from within the firm, major financial institutions have depended on us over the years to handle select portions of their legal work in the Bay Area. At the same time, many community banks throughout the state count on us to serve as their general counsel.
Corporate, Regulatory and Litigation Counsel for Financial Institutions
Our attorneys are experienced in working on bank regulatory issues with the California Department of Financial Institutions, the FDIC, the Federal Reserve Board and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. We help our clients accommodate their operations to supervisory constraints and whenever necessary, resolve compliance and enforcement problems in administrative proceedings.
We have assisted clients in capital raising activities. Since the economic crisis of 2008, our banking clients have also turned to us for advice about access to capital under the Troubled Assets Recovery Program (TARP).
More routinely, our practice focuses on the following needs of banks and bank holding companies:
- Initial organization and capitalization
- Formation of California or Bay Area subsidiaries and branches for financial institutions based elsewhere in the state or nation or from overseas
- Merger, sale or acquisition of banks
- Ongoing advice about operations, staffing and employment issues, deposits and payments, trust and fiduciary issues, or other problems
- Advice about permissible lending, investment and accounting practices
- Negotiation and documentation of loans, participations, leases, security agreements, mortgages and other credit transactions
- Debt and equity security issues for both registered and unregistered financial institutions
- Corporate organization, restructuring and governance issues
- Loan workouts, renegotiations and enforcement proceedings
- Portfolio sales of real estate loans and commercial real estate
- Foreclosure, liquidation and collections
- Commercial litigation of all kinds in state, federal or bankruptcy court, including alternative dispute resolution through mediation or arbitration
Our litigation practice on behalf of banks also extends to equitable remedies such as receiverships, injunctions, protective orders and restraining orders, and writs of attachment and possession.
Leland, Parachini, Steinberg, Matzger & Melnick LLP – San Francisco
For additional information about the scope of our practice on behalf of financial institutions, contact an attorney at our banking practice group.