Carol A. Salvagione is a Certified Family Law Specialist, certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. She exclusively practices in the area of family law. Carol handles all aspects for family law cases including property division, child and spousal support, child custody and parenting plan issues. A significant portion of Carol’s practice includes drafting, reviewing and mediating premarital agreements. Carol practices alternative dispute resolution and is a trained mediator and collaborative law attorney.
Carol graduated from the University of New Mexico (B.A., with distinction, 1989) and the McGeorge School of Law (J.D., 1994).
Carol volunteers for the San Francisco Superior Court, Unified Family Court as both a settlement master in cases where parties are represented and for the Self-Represented Litigant Conference Calendar. Carol’s past service to the Unified Family Court includes working on the Focused Evaluation Committee and the Custody Evaluation Local Rule Revisions Committee. Carol is currently a Commissioner on the San Francisco Juvenile Justice Commission.
Carol has been rated AV by Martindale-Hubble since her first rating. She has been distinguished as a Northern California Super Lawyer in family law every year since 2004.
Year Joined Organization2021
Trained in collaborative practice including advanced interdisciplinary training.
Trained in mediation. Completed five day intensive training session at The Center for Mediation in Law (2003), presenter Gary Friedman.
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Sacramento, CA (1994) J.D.
Honors at Entrance
Dean’s Honor Roll 1991-1992
London Institute on Comparative Litigation
Emil Gumpert Trial Advocacy Award
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM (1989) B.A., Political Science, with distinction
Phi Beta Kappa
Honors and Awards
“AV” Rated – Martindale Hubbell
Named Northern California Super Lawyer (every year from 2004 through 2021)
San Francisco State University, Faculty Member (2009 and 2010). Taught the Family law elective course.
“Overview of Collaborative Practice.” (December 2012)
“Introduction to Pre-Marital Agreements.” (November 2007)
“Handling Move-Away Cases.” (October 2006)
“Putting Women on the Leadership Track: The Art and Science of Managing Client Relationships.” (May 2004)
“Avoiding Legal Malpractice in Family Law.” (December 2003)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, California State Bar, No. 173409 (1994)
- Family Law Specialist, certified by the State Bar of California (2007)
- Member, Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Northern California Chapter Board of Managers (2019-present)
- Member, San Francisco Collaborative Practice Group, Board of Directors (2019-present)
- Member, International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Member, American Bar Association – Family Law Section
- Member, California Women Lawyers
- Member, Bar Association of San Francisco – Family Law Section, Secretary 2007, Vice-Chair 2008 – 2009, Chair 2010
- Member, Queen’s Bench, Board of Directors (2001-2004, 2015-2017), Treasurer 2002, Second Vice President 2003, President 2004
- Member, The Cooperative Divorce Project
Pro Bono Activities / Community Involvement
Commissioner, San Francisco Juvenile Justice Commission (term 2020 – 2024)
Queen’s Bench Juvenile Hall Project volunteer, San Francisco Juvenile Justice Center
Project Homeless Connect Volunteer Attorney
Poll worker, City and County of San Francisco Department of Elections
Enumerator, 2020 United States Census Bureau
SFFD Neighborhood Emergency Response Team volunteer